Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Holiday Update

Memorial Day was great, join me in a recap.

Big Buckaroo got a huge ladder and put it on this small flag pole, climbed right up without thinking of how unsteady it was and got to work putting a new rope on the pole in front of the old schoolhouse.



Little Buckaroo had fun, but just could not understand why his dad would not put up a Betsy Ross flag, which his favorite. We explained that our state was not even represented on the Betsy Ross as we are not one of the original colonies. That really did not matter, he still likes the Betsy Ross and asked if his dad could get one. In the end, he settled for this one and after he was able to run around the schoolhouse and play a while he forgot all about his disappointment that there were 50 stars rather than 13.

Hey look, it is actually working. Not that I doubted Big Buckaroo's rope and flag replacement skills, but hey, it was getting hot out there.



The Buckaroos are saluting the flag as it is being raised, but the sun got to be a little too much and the salute became a way to block the sun from their eyes.

What a sight, I had chills. I am so proud to be an American.


Here is Papaw's WWII uniform on display at the Park. Interestingly enough, Big Buckaroo's grandparents lived in the same house for a lot of years and it was sold after Papaw's death in 1998. About 3 weeks ago we found out that Papaw's WWII trunk that included this uniform was still in the attic of that house. Yes, 10 years later, it was still there and the owners of the home were happy to let us retrieve it.

Later in the day our good friends came over for burgers, some real good grass-fed beef burgers that Big Buckaroo cooked to perfection. It was a wonderful day!

I hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day.

The Park Wife

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

great pictures!! glad you had fun cooking burgers and hanging the flag. we missed you at the water park. happy tuesday.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Mr. Buckaroo sure has a nice....calf! I was going to say calf muscle! Get your mind out of the gutter.

Thanks for the blogroll add. Now I can add you. :)

Just kidding! I will add you cuz I always read you. I just NEVER update that darn roll. Did it in the beginning and then forget about it.

Love all the pics you included today.

Hubby up the ladder is my fav! ;)

Hallie

OKGardners said...

I'm happy to see the flagpole is fixed and the beautiful flag is waving proudly. Your sons are learning so much just living with you two patriots.

The burgers sound great and so glad you had fun with friends.
Enjoy your week!

Betty

Patriot said...

Excellent post and excellent quote in the post below.

Valarie Lea said...

Love the picture of the little buckaroos saluting. They are so cute!

That's amazing that his uniform was still there after all these years.

Anonymous said...

that's the first I've heard about Papaw's trunk! How neat! and thank goodness there are still nice people living there! I drove by the other day, and was amazed at how different the house looked!

Kelly said...

Thanks for visiting me!!! I'm so excited to meet someone who knew Boomama in high school. Was she this funny now?
You have a very fun and interesting life - and such cute boys!!!!

Dawn said...

Really nice pictures - I love the salute! I think it's awesome that you are teaching your kiddos about patriotism - it's been lost on this generation.

Blessings! Dawn

DD said...

this was a really nice blog. :)

Blessed said...

How awesome that you were able to get the trunk back!

The Maid said...

Loved that.

The pictures of the boys looking/saluting the flag...reminded me of JFK jr saluting his dad's casket as it went by. Great historical moment.
Hope that wasn't a wierd for you for me to say that! ;)

Wished I could have had a burger with you all!

I am an Army brat and the granddaughter of a WWII vet.
:)

The Maid

Anonymous said...

Really cool post. I have been out of town but I am trying to catch up on my reading! Loved this one. Loved the boots on the littest Buck