Thursday, July 15, 2010

Fresh Salsa- Thank You Garden Bounty

I mentioned on Facebook the other day that I had gone out into my garden, picked veggies and then came in and made salsa. Several of my friends wanted the recipe so I am going to pass it on here. This is for fresh salsa, not what I do to can it for those long winter months when I can only dream of our garden.

First, let me reassure all of you out there that say "I can not cook", "how do you cut up jalapenos?", or "onions make my eyes water" that you can do this. It is easy and even though my hair is quiet dark, thank you Miss Clairol, I do not have an ounce of Mexican in me. Big Buckaroo loves Mexican food and wishes that I did though.

My recipe is quiet simple because I want to use what I grow in my garden, for freshness sake and because I am cheap. There are fancier recipes out there, but I do not grow some of the things those recipes require. I did have to buy cilantro from a farmer friend because mine died a slow, agonizing, dry death.

What you will need:
child labor
1 1/2 pounds tomatoes
1/2 an onion
jalapenos - as many as you want. Remember, if you clean out the membranes it will not be as hot, but leave them in and HAVE MERCY, it is good.
1/4 to 1/2 cup cilantro (this depends on your own taste, I like a lot of cilantro in mine)
lime (half of a lime if it is large or one small lime)
1 clove garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar


Chop it all (this is where the child labor comes in), put everything in the food processor and pulse until you get the texture you would like. Big Buckaroo does not like his too chunky so I oblige him.


Easy breezy and delicious!

Oh sweet bloggity friends, please do not spend money on those canned grocery salsas... spend the money on fresh ingredients and make your own salsa right at home. It taste so much better and this is the time of year to get the best tasting ingredients from a local farmer.

Ole',
The Park Wife

4 comments:

Dawn said...

I make salsa almost exactly like yours... except we like chunky so I just finely chop with my knife and skip the food processor.

And, you're right... way, way better than anything out of a jar!

Tracie Nall said...

mmmmm just add some chips and guacamole to that recipe and you have made me a happy snacker!

Ann Flowers said...

I just recently discovered your blog and am so glad I did. What a sweet post!

Gina said...

My husband's salsa recipe is almost the same and it is yummy!!!! :) I'm thinking about growing tomatoes next summer so that he'll have our very own tomatoes to make it. :)